Tuesday 1 May 2012

Behind the BIG Desk


Besides being the director of CampWidjiitiwin, I’m the dad of three girls, an old school cowboy like The Man From Snowy River. I like my coffee black in a big mug. My favourite colour is blue. My favourite cereal is Frosted Flakes. I do woodworking as a hobby and love to add new sections to my back deck.

However, I may be most excited about camp. It has so much potential to change lives, forever. It did mine. I went to day camp as a kid and then to residential camp at age 13 and I haven’t left yet. I remember sitting in the hallway at Camp Ambassador with my counselor after a meeting in the gym and talking with him that I wanted to do what they talked about. I wanted to have Jesus in my life. That year God got a hold of my life, I became a Christian and I felt called into full time ministry in camping, although I didn’t know what that meant at the time.

Every summer I was back at camp, as a camper then as staff. I worked as a stable hand, instructor, cabin leader, retreat host, cook, dishwasher, program director and more. I have worked full time in camping since 1987. Back when Tyndale was still Ontario Bible College I did a degree program (BTh) in Christian camping.

I have to confess that I’m a program guy at heart. I love taking an idea and seeing it become something big and fun that engages campers and staff. Like having a King Arthur theme and building a castle facade for the front of the Widjiitiwin Longhouse or a giant treasure chest for pirates week. Plus there’s all the camp songs, games and traditions.

I’m passionate about leadership, having the opportunity to teach the next generation of leaders in our summer staff and the SALT program at Widji. They have such amazing potential and they are stepping up to take their place in the world. Where else can you be in charge of a group of kids at 17-18 years of age. Every summer it’s wonderful to see how a cabin leader can lead campers to greater heights, both of them discovering themselves along the way. I get to build into their lives as they build into the lives of the campers and each other. (That’s for another blog).

Camp Widjiitiwin – the way camp was meant to be… relational, central, natural, reaching out, a loving community focused on Christ. It’s like coming home, it’s my camp!

No comments:

Post a Comment